Private Hire of Penguin Island for weddings and other events
Penguin Island is a stunning location for your wedding ceremony or special event. The grassed picnic area in front of the Discovery Centre is protected from the sea breeze and overlooks breathtaking coastal views of the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park. Wedding ceremonies and events can be held from 4pm after the island closes to the general public, allowing complete privacy for your special day. After the ceremony your guests can enjoy an easy stroll along the timber boardwalks and lookouts that take in spectacular views from Point Peron to Port Kennedy, while the natural beauty of the island provides the perfect backdrop for your wedding photos.
Catering is available through Pengos Cafe who can provide delicious platters or gourmet picnic baskets to enjoy on Penguin Island or consider booking exclusive use of the café and enjoy an informal wedding reception under the festoon lights of our alfresco area. Download Pengos Private Events Packages for more information.
Rockingham Wild Encounters have proudly assisted with some unique events on Penguin Island for clients including Tourism WA, The City of Rockingham, The Rockingham Kwinana Chamber of Commerce, The BHP Billiton Social Club and the Western Australian Naturalists Club. The island is a perfect location for a truly unique, authentic Western Australian Experience- where else can you hire your own private island this close to Perth?
Points to Consider
- Available September 15th until early June (excluding public holiday weekends).
- After hour events can only be held after 4pm with all guests required to depart by sunset (usually between 6 and 7.30pm depending on time of year) to ensure the little penguins aren’t disturbed when they return to Penguin Island in the evening.
- Consider starting your event with a cruise! Guided walks of the island, snorkelling and stand up paddle lessons can also be included for your guests.
- Events are limited to the picnic area and beach in front of the Discovery Centre. Guests can also access the timber boardwalks & western beach.
- Our licence limits after hours events to a maximum of 150 guests.
- Unfortunately, the Discovery Centre must remain closed for after hour events. If your group wants to include the penguin feeding they can attend the 2.30pm session, however this will also be available to the general public.
- For weddings, we recommend for guests to be ferried to Penguin Island from 3pm. An exclusive ferry transfer for the bride and/ or bridal party can be scheduled to arrive after your guests.
- Penguin Island is an A class nature reserve. We ask that you respect the environment and it's wildlife by ensuring guests are aware that there is no smoking permitted on the boats or Penguin Island.
- Littering including the throwing of confetti and rice is strictly prohibited. All rubbish must be placed in the bin bags provided and removed from the Island at the conclusion of the event.
- No power outlets are available for events. We have a battery operated PA system available that can also play music from smart phones via Bluetooth.
- Musical instruments are permitted on an acoustic basis and must be kept to an acceptable noise level.
- There are no kiosk or barbeque facilities on the island but you are welcome to take eskies and picnic baskets.
- Penguin Island is a public open space so the consumption of alcohol is at the discretion of The Department of Parks & Wildlife. Alcohol may be consumed on a BYO basis if done so in a responsible manner (2 standard drinks in the first hour and 1 for every hour after that).
- There are environmentally friendly composting toilets on the island and public toilets at Mersey Point on the mainland.
- Our ferry has wheelchair access and timber boardwalks on the island allow good disabled access from the landing jetty to the picnic area.
- Photography is permitted on the Island.
Estimated cost for weddings
Group Size of 1 to 75 people- $1990
Group Size of 76- 150 people- $2990
*All prices are GST inclusive and include ferry transfers, venue hire and a 7% marine park levy
Please submit the After Hours Enquiry Form below and we’ll get back to you within 48 hours with a suggested itinerary and quote or Contact Us to speak with one of our team.